I did think about doing more than just albums, but, to be quite frank, I’m not sure it would be that interesting. I’ve watched 1 film that was released this year, Manchester By The Sea; I thought that was excellent. I’ve played 1 game; Super Mario Odyssey. That too, is excellent. I’ve enjoyed every gig I’ve attended also. Glastonbury was a blast. I’ve found some pretty good coffee shops, all of which serve great coffee. Can I tell the difference? No. So, here are my 10 favourite albums of 2017. In no real order.
- Cigarettes After Sex – Cigarettes After Sex
- Phoebe Bridgers – Stranger in the Alps
- Broken Social Scene – Hug Of Thunder
- The xx – I See You
- Howie Payne – Mountain
- Mark Lanegan Band – Gargoyle
- Mogwai – Every Country’s Sun
- Shout Out Louds – Ease My Mind
- Ride – Weather Diaries
- The War on Drugs – A Deeper Understanding
Notable mentions: Liam Gallagher – As You Were; Baxter Dury – Prince of Tears; Big Thief – Capacity; British Sea Power – Let The Dancers Inherit The Party; Four Tet – New Energy; Hello Skinny – Watermelon Sun; The National – Sleep Well Beast.
All in all, a pretty good year for music.
Have a good Christmas and New Year.